Monday, March 24, 2014

Wasting My Youth...

Interestingly enough, a couple of times that I have shared my journey and discernment with people I have been met with the rather uncomfortable (for the person asking) question "Well...do you think that your youth will be...wasted?" My usual response is to smile and say something along the lines of "I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but no, I think my life still has the potential to be wonderful!"

But then, I prayed about it.

What exactly are people referring to, in this instance, when they speak of my youth? Money? Fame? Intimacy? I suppose the answer would depend on the person asking the question, but I write today to dispel further inquiries of this nature ;)

Just yesterday, I was invited to the farm home of a family that is very closely united to the Apostles of the Interior Life. I expected to spend the afternoon talking and drinking tea, and not much more. BUT the Lord is a gracious and merciful God, and he often surprises us.

First of all, my most loving hostess took me to a wonderful lunch in their one-stop-light town. When she discovered that I had never spent more than 5 minutes with a horse in my life, she brought me to her friend's house who just so happen to have two! After taking a few minutes to explain who I was (haha, hello, I am a perfect stranger to you and now I am in your house asking to play with your large pets) and why we were there, we went out to the horse pen. Have you ever stood next to a horse before? They are HUGE! It is incredible.

Once I convinced Dash, the horse pictured above, that I was a friend and not an enemy, he lifted his enormous head, took a big step forward, and lowered his head behind my shoulder. He then proceeded to squeeze me close to him, giving me the most sweet and unexpected Horse Hug in the history of horse hugs (if there is such thing)! Have you ever been hugged by a horse?! Dash then put his head on top of mine and played with my hair a bit before resuming the hug. I think I stood there for 10 minutes just hugging this gentle giant. It was amazing!

While lost in my horse-hug, I did not notice that this beauty pictured on the right, in his jealousy, had crept up behind me awaiting his turn. Soon thereafter I was petting both of them simultaneously, as they took turns nudging me with their incredibly soft snouts.

If that wasn't enough of a gift for a Sunday afternoon, we went from this little horse farm to a small museum attached to Baker University. Here a brilliant man on staff gave us a very personal tour of some of the oldest and most beautiful pieces of art and literature that I have seen in a long time. Once he found out we were Catholic, he excused himself to go bring something from the back. He returned and handed me this, a small prayer book from Italy. He explained that this book came from a very prominent family, the Albani's, from whom came several cardinals....and a Pope. This prayer book dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary, at some point, belonged to Pope Clement XI.



WHAT?! A SECOND-CLASS RELIC!

Well, I certainly was not expecting that :)

So I suppose the point is, no, I don't think my youth is being wasted away by walking down the path toward a vocation to religious life. In fact, I think my "youth" is being blessed in ways I would never have imagined possible if not for the amazing folks the Lord has brought my way through my discernment.

Thank you, to those who asked, for your love and concern. I'll be keeping you in my prayers.

P.S. You should really add "Hugging a Horse" to your bucket list. I felt the power and love of God within the simple kindness of that massive and yet gentle creature.

God Bless!

1 comment:

  1. Hello, I wanted to offer you some (unneeded) assurance. I feel that when someone asks you "whether you are wasting your youth", they are actually referring to themselves. Often times folks will "beware" you of their own perils and defeats. Rather, they are cautioning you about mistakes they have made. They are telling you their own story. When you reflected on the question they are asking you (about money, fame, intimacy), you're right, it probably depends on the person asking it. I am glad you understand that. Empathy is not a gift everyone uses or learns. Be well.

    ReplyDelete